Fear of Dictatorship Greets Alabama Congressman Over Health Care Reform
Fear of government control and dictatorship greeted local U.S. Representative Mike Rogers when he held a town hall style meeting yesterday at Monarch Estates, a retirement living community here in Auburn, Alabama. The Opelika-Auburn News, the local paper here, sent reporter Brittany Whitley. Click here for her full story, including some reader comments.
Not everyone shared these fears and a scuffle broke out. Apparently no one was injured.
Quotes reported from the attendees:
- "I didn’t come here to make nice."
- "It’s not about health care. It’s about the federal government being out of control … Is everyone entitled to free health care from the cradle to the grave? Who’s going to pay for it?"
- "It’s a basic human right."
- A man in the audience said the U.S. was on its way to becoming a dictatorship.
- A man from the back of the room disputed the notion, saying the U.S. would not become a dictatorship.
The fears expressed by these attendees are real. Stupid, but they really are afraid.